My personal philosophy: I believe that we are all placed on earth for a purpose. Each one of us is gifted with the power to do something. Quote John Lewis: “do something, get in good trouble” I have not seen an unjust system and not tried to change it for the better. That sums up the whole trajectory of my life
Who I am: an international lawyer, father, husband, business owner and community leader.
I was born in Mong’oni village, Nyamira County on April 23, 1972. My parents were peasants with minimal resources but they scraped enough to put myself and my six other siblings through school. I am living testimony of the transformative power of education.
Education & Career
I had an unremarkable journey through primary school where I was the top student in every year through KCPE. I emerged top of my class at Ekerubo D.O.K. Primary School and joined Cardinal Otunga High School, Mosocho in 1986. I was the leading candidate in the first-ever KCSE in 1989 and was accepted into the Faculty of Law at the University of Nairobi.
Graduated with an LL.B. (Hons.) (Upper Division) in 1995, obtained a diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law and was admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya in December, 1996. I was hired as an associate at Kirundi & Company Advocates, Nairobi.
In 1997, I traveled to St. Paul, Minnesota for a Master of Laws (LL.M) in Taxation degree and graduated in January, 2000. After graduation, I worked in the Tax Department of U.S. Bank, one of the largest banks in the United States.
In 2006, I was admitted as an Attorney and Counselor at Law in by the Supreme Court of the State of New York and the U.S. Tax Court. I founded H.M. Ongeri & Associates with offices in Minneapolis, New York and Nairobi.
In 2009, I received a juris doctor (JD) degree from Hamline University School of Law in St. Paul. I was admitted to the bar in the State of Minnesota in May, 2010.
Soon after admission, H.M. Ongeri & Associates was renamed THE TRANSATLANTIC LAW FIRM, PLLC. In 2015, the Firm merged with Antolak Law Office to form ANTOLAK & ONGERI, The Transatlantic Law Firm, PLLC. Our main focus are the legal needs of diaspora and transnational populations across the world. We handle matters in U.S. Immigration, International Law, Family, Taxation and Litigation. We strive to offer services that exceed our clients’ expectations using a culturally-sensitive approach.
Community & Civic Service (Leadership)
- Faculty of Law Representative, SONU ‘92
- KLSS Chairman, University of Nairobi, 1993-95
- Chair, The Underemployment (Stand with Africa Initiative)/ISAIAH, 2000-2003
- Founding Organizing Secretary, Minnesota Kenyan International Development Agency (MKIDA), 2003
- Immigrant Community Organizer, Kerry-Edwards U.S. Presidential Campaign, 2004
- Co-founder, Bogetutu Family Group (BFG), Minneapolis, 2005
- Pro Bono General Counsel, Mwanyagetinge Umoja
- Founding Organizing Secretary, Kenya Community in Minnesota (KCM), 2006
- Executive Director, Pan African Business Alliance (PABA), Pan African Trade and Investment Summit (PATIS) ‘07
- Chairman, Peter Kenneth for President Diaspora Team, 2011-2013
- Honorary Consul Finalist, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2017
- Next: Governor, Nyamira County, 2022 (Prayerfully, Hopefully)